Thursday 25 February 2010

raindrop smiles

So the quickest way to go around London is on a bicycle. We sort of figured this out. But on some days, when the rain drops fall hard and the wind is blowing the only thing i feel like doing is getting under the purple duvet to ignore the outside world. Today was one of those days, but being the responsible adult i am, this was not an option. The morning was booked with back to back work appointments scattered around the borough and the only way to make it though them all was on my bike. i reluctantly unlocked the bike and got on with the day. 

My ride back home, was perfectly timed with the rain. Sweat washed away by the thick raindrops, and topped up with street grime; eyes blinking to get rid of the trapped drops in my eyelashes; head occasionally tipped back to look up at the sky. Sometimes rain gives me this cathartic feeling, and makes me smile no matter how tired my legs are from cycling. Sometimes i get random thoughts while i ride. Today's random thought was "what does Ani difranco listen to on her ipod." While this thought was in my head and my legs were cycling fast i felt someone, something watching me. I turned to the right to see a handsome boy cycling right next to me, head turned looking at me. I smiled, he politely nodded and smiled back, over taking me.  I started cycling fast, taking his nod as a race invite/challenge. He whizzed through the traffic, i kept on the right lane until we both reached the red traffic light where we stopped. he turned smiling, i smiled back saying "you are too fast." He looked as if he was getting slightly shy, hesitated in turning left as he spotted me going straight down and soon separated both having big grins after our child like fun, on this random rainy night...

...and that's why i like cycling in London...