A few people have asked about locking advice so...
I always use 2 locks and 2 wires:
1) A D-lock/U lock that locks the bike frame and one wheel on a bike rack/railings; If the D lock cannot reach then I use the D-Lock on the frame and bike rack/railings, and a wire is used for the front wheel.
2) A good 2nd lock that secures the frame and the other wheel on the bike rack.
3) Another wire that secures my saddle.
I never lock my bike on poles:
because the bike can be lifted through...
- Lock the bike to something that is very strong and very securely anchored
- Ensure that the bike & lock cannot be lifted over the top of what you're locking it to.
- Use a wire for the saddle; and take off your lights!
- Always use 2 locks (made of different material/different locks as this may put off thieves) and make sure both locks are attaching the bike frame to the rack/railings.
- Fill up the shackle of a D-lock so a jack cannot be inserted into it. (have a small but strong D-lock.)
- See the SoldSecure rating site for some locks that earned Gold, Silver or Bronze certification in SoldSecure's tests. Also see ART for their ratings; four stars is best.
Do not use cable locks as a primary lock; use them as a secondary lock.